There are many things that you need to do before you depart from your home country. On these pages you will find important information and useful links.

Passport, Visa and Residence Permit

All students should have a valid passport for the period of their study in Jönköping. Whether or not you need a visa depends on where you come from. Please contact the Swedish embassy or consulate in your home country for more information.

EU/EEA citizens have the right of residence in Sweden and may study without a residence permit. If you come from a country outside the EU and you are planning to study for longer than three months in Sweden, you require a residence permit. This procedure must be completed and approved before you arrive in Sweden. You can apply for the permit at the Swedish embassy or consulate in your home country.

For more information please visit the Swedish Migration Agency.

What to pack

Almost everything you need can be bought in Jönköping, but there are a few things that are good to know before you start packing your bags.

Documents and Money

Don't forget to bring:

  • Tickets
  • Passport (check that it is valid for your entire stay in Sweden)
  • Your Letter of Admission and other relevant documents
  • Cash and/or credit card and/or traveller's cheques
  • Insurance papers


The weather in Jönköping is unpredictable. Generally, the summer (Middle of June to the end of August) is warm, though rarely hot. The rest of the year is cooler. The winter months are usually cold and frosty, and the temperature may fall below freezing. Please bring warm clothes.

Dress in Sweden, especially at the university, is mostly informal. It will usually be made clear to you, when you are invited, if an occasion may demand something more formal or smart - if in doubt, just ask at the time. You may want to bring your national dress to wear on special occasions.

Other Things

In the housing offered by the university you need to bring your own sheets and towels. You may also need an adaptor for electrical appliances (220V).