Given the many faculty members working as part of CeFEO and the heterogeneity of their research interests, it is no surprise that different research projects, leading to several top-tier publications, have been developed over time.
Below you can find links to scientific publications authored by CeFEO members since 2005, year of incorporation of CeFEO. These reflect the breadth of the research at CeFEO while offering important scientific results in the areas of family business and/or ownership.
In bold are indicated CeFEO members.
- Bauweraerts, J., Pongelli, C., Sciascia, S.(*), Mazzola, P., & Minichilli, A. (in press). Transforming entrepreneurial orientation into performance in family SMEs: Are nonfamily CEOs better than family CEOs? Journal of Small Business Management.
- Berndt, A., & Meintjes, C. (in press). The interrelationship of family identities, personalities, and expressions on family winery websites. Journal of Product & Brand Management.
- Blume, F., & Hsueh, J. W. J. (in press). Opening the black box of venture capitalists’ evaluation of entrepreneurial teams. Journal of Small Business Management.
- Brundin, E., & Languilaire, J. C.(*) (in press). When the display of emotion is not enough: An emotion boundary management perspective on the quality of strategic decisions. Long Range Planning, 102245.
- Brundin, E., McClatchey, I. S., & Melin, L. (in press). Leaving the family business: The dynamics of psychological ownership. Journal of Family Business Strategy, 100555.
- Cestino, J., Naldi, L., & Ots, M. (in press). External enablers in existing organizations: Emergence, novelty, and persistence of entrepreneurial initiatives. Strategic Entrepreneurship Journal.
- Chavan, M., Chirico, F., Taksa, L., Alam, M. (in press). How Do Immigrant Family Businesses Achieve Global Expansion? An Embeddedness Perspective. Academy of Management Discoveries.
- Chirico, F., & Kellermanns, F. W. (in press). When does time enhance family firm performance? Examining family generation in control and family control dispersion through a mixed-gamble logic. Long Range Planning, 102272.
- D'Allura, G., Woolum, A., Foulk, T., Erez, A., Pittino, D. (in press). Event-sampling method with experimental design: A promising method for investigating microfoundational phenomena within family businesses, Journal of Family business Strategy, 100537
- Gómez-Mejia, L R., Chirico, F., Martin, G., Baù, M. (in press). Best Among the Worst or Worst Among the Best? Socioemotional Wealth and Risk- Performance Returns for Family and Non-Family Firms Under Financial Distress. Entrepreneurship: Theory & Practice.
- Hellerstedt, K., Uman, T., & Wennberg, K. (in press). Fooled By Diversity? When Diversity Initiatives Exacerbate Rather Than Mitigate Inequality. Academy of Management Perspectives.
- Henrekson, M., Johansson, D., & Karlsson, J. (in press). To Be or Not to Be: The Entrepreneur in Neo-Schumpeterian Growth Theory. Entrepreneurship: Theory & Practice.
- Hsueh, J. W. J., Campopiano, G., Tetzlaff, E., & Jaskiewicz, P. (in press). Managing non-family employees’ emotional connection with the family firms via shifting, compensating, and leveraging approaches. Long Range Planning, 102274.
- Kragl, J., Palermo, A., Xi, G., & Block, J.(*) (in press). Hiring family or non-family managers when non-economic (sustainability) goals matter? A multitask agency model. Small Business Economics.
- Maine, J., Uman, T., & Florin-Samuelsson, E. (in press). Actors constructing accountability in hybrid organisations: The case of a Swedish municipal corporation. The British Accounting Review, 101207.
- Mehraein, V., Visintin, F., & Pittino, D. (in press). The dark side of leadership: A systematic review of creativity and innovation. International Journal of Management Reviews.
- Pinelli, M., Chirico, F., De Massis, A., & Zattoni, A. (in press). Acquisition relatedness in family firms: Do the environment and the institutional context matter? Journal of Management Studies.
- Sandgren, M., Uman, T., & Nordqvist, M. (in press). Accountants in family firms—a systematic literature review. Small Business Economics, 1-40.
- Smith, E. M., Uman, T., & Collin, S. O. (in press). Exploring Board Behaviour in a Public Context-Experiences from a Swedish Municipal Corporation. Public Performance & Management Review.
- Smith, C., Rondi, E., De Massis, A., & Nordqvist, M. (in press). Rising Every Time We Fall: Organizational Fortitude and Response to Adversities. Journal of Management, 01492063231164969.
- Vidolov, S., Geiger, S., & Stendahl, E. (in press). Affective resonance and durability in political organizing: The case of patients who hack. Organization Studies, 01708406231162002.
- Wu, Z., Naldi, L., Wennberg, K., & Uman, T. (in press). Learning from Their Daughters: Family Exposure to Gender Disparity and Female Representation in Male-Led Ventures. Management Science.
- Yang, T., Kacperczyk, A., & Naldi, L. (in press). The Motherhood Wage Penalty and Female Entrepreneurship. Organization Science.
- Almlöf, H.(*), Sjögren, H. (2023). Owner-manager when death do us part - roles of a widow in sudden succession in family firms. External link, opens in new window. Journal of Family Business Management, 13(2), 432-452.
- Berglund, K., Ahl, H.(*), Pettersson, K., & Tillmar, M. (2023). Conceptualising feminist resistance in the postfeminist terrain. Gender in Management: An International Journal, 38(2), 183-199.
- Block, J. H.(*), Hirschmann, M., Kranz, T., & Neuenkirch, M. (2023). Public family firms and economic inequality across societies. Journal of Business Venturing Insights, 19, e00376.
- Brunninge, O. (2023). Invented corporate heritage brands. Journal of Brand Management, 30, 157-169.
- Caccamo, M.(*), Pittino, D., & Tell, F. (2023). Boundary objects, knowledge integration, and innovation management: A systematic review of the literature. Technovation, 122, 102645.
- Gillmore, E., Andersson, U., & Dellestrand, H. (2023). Between a rock and a hard place: The consequences of complex headquarters configurations for subsidiary R&D activities. Global Strategy Journal, 13(1), 217-247.
- Haag, K., Achtenhagen, L., & Grimm, J. (2023). Engaging With the Category: Exploring Family Business Longevity From a Historical Perspective. Family Business Review, 36(1), 84-118.
- Hsueh, J. W. J., De Massis, A., & Gomez-Mejia, L. (2023). Examining Heterogeneous Configurations of Socioemotional Wealth in Family Firms Through the Formalization of Corporate Social Responsibility Strategy. Family Business Review, 36(2), 08944865221146350.
- Hsueh, J. W. J., Hietschold, N., Sieger, P., & Voegtlin, C. (2023). Strangers in my home: the 2015 refugee event in Europe and founder social identities of nascent entrepreneurs. Entrepreneurship & Regional Development, 35(3-4), 337-365.
- Maggi, B., Pongelli, C., & Sciascia, S. (*) (2023). Family firms and international equity-based entry modes: a systematic literature review. Multinational Business Review, 31(1), 38-63.
- Martínez-Alonso, R., Martínez-Romero, M. J., Rojo-Ramírez, A. A., Lazzarotti, V., & Sciascia, S.(*) (2023). Process innovation in family firms: Family involvement in management, R&D collaboration with suppliers, and technology protection. Journal of Business Research, 157, 113581.
- Pongelli, C., Majocchi, A., Bauweraerts, J., Sciascia, S.(*), Caroli, M., & Verbeke, A. (2023). The impact of board of directors’ characteristics on the internationalization of family SMEs. Journal of World Business, 58(2), 101412.
- Rugina, S., & Ahl, H.(*)(2023). How research positions Central and Eastern European women entrepreneurs: A 30-year discourse analysis. Entrepreneurship & Regional Development, 35(3-4), 241-263.
- Achtenhagen, L., Haag, K., Hultén, K., Lundgren, J. (2022). Torn between individual aspirations and the family legacy – individual career development in family firms. Career Development International, 27(2), 201-221.
- Almlöf, H.(*) (2022). Regulation of Shareholder Exits in Closely Held Companies–Reflections from Sweden. European Company and Financial Law Review, 19(2), 175-202.
- Bauweraerts, J., Rondi, E., Rovelli, P., De Massis, A., & Sciascia, S.(*) (2022). Are family female directors catalysts of innovation in family SMEs? Strategic Entrepreneurship Journal, 16(2), 314-354.
- Brundin, E., Liu, F., & Cyron, T. (2022). Emotion in strategic management: A review and future research agenda. Long Range Planning, 55(4), 102144.
- Cambrea, D. R., Ponomareva, Y., Pittino, D., & Minichilli, A. (2022). Strings attached: Socioemotional wealth mixed gambles in the cash management choices of family firms. Journal of Family Business Strategy, 13(3), 100466.
- Carnes, C., Hitt, M.A., Sirmon, D.G., Chirico, F., Wook Huh, D., (2022). Leveraging Resources For Innovation: The Role Of Synchronization. Journal of Product Innovation Management, 39(2), 160-176.
- Cirillo, A., Maggi, B., Sciascia, S.(*), Lazzarotti, V., & Visconti, F. (2022). Exploring family millennials’ involvement in family business internationalization: Who should be their leader? Journal of Family Business Strategy, 13(3), 100455.
- Chirico, F., Ireland, R., Pittino, D., Sanchez-Famoso, V. (2022). Radical Innovation in (Multi)family Owned Firms. Journal of Business Venturing, 37(3), 106194.
- Coad, A., Karlsson, J. (2022). A field guide for gazelle hunters: Small, old firms are unlikely to become high-growth firms. Journal of Business Venturing Insights, 17, e00286.
- Criaco, G., Naldi, L., & Zahra, S. A. (2022). Founders’ Prior Shared International Experience, Time to First Foreign Market Entry, and New Venture Performance. Journal of Management, 48(8), 2349-2381.
- Flamini, G., Pittino, D., & Visintin, F. (2022). Family leadership, family involvement and mutuality HRM practices in family SMEs. Journal of Family Business Strategy, 13(2), 100468.
- Gillmore, E. (2022). Mandate dynamics and the importance of mandate loss for subsidiary evolution. International Business Review, 31(6), 101994.
- Kimjeon, J., & Davidsson, P. (2022). External enablers of entrepreneurship: A review and agenda for accumulation of strategically actionable knowledge External link, opens in new window.. Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, 46(3), 643-687.
- Lin, N., Wilden, R., Chirico, F., Ghasrodashti, E., & DeTienne, D. R. (2022). Persist or Let it Go: Do Rational Entrepreneurs Make Decisions Rationally? Journal of Business Venturing, 37(4), 106210.
- Maine, J., Florin-Samuelsson, E., Uman, T (2022). Ambidextrous sustainability, organisational structure and performance in hybrid organisations. Accounting, Accountability and Auditing Journal, 35(3), 734-769.
- Malki, B. (2022). The financial ambidexterity of the immigrant entrepreneurs: a conceptualization. International Journal of Entrepreneurial Behavior & Research, 28(9), 242-267.
- Malki, B., Uman, T., Pittino, D. (2022). The entrepreneurial financing of the immigrant entrepreneurs: a literature review. Small Business Economics, 58, 1337–1365.
- Minola, T., Baù, M., Brumana, M., & De Massis, A. (2022). Under which circumstances do family SMES achieve high growth? A behavioural perspective. International Small Business Journal, 40(6), 768-798.
- Ponomareva, Y., Uman, T., Bodolica, V., & Wennberg, K. (2022). Cultural diversity in top management teams: Review and agenda for future research. Journal of World Business, 57(4), 101328.
- Lorenzo, D., Núñez-Cacho, P., Akhter, N., Chirico, F. (2022). Why are some family firms not innovative? Innovation barriers and path dependence in family firms. Scandinavian Journal of Management, 38(1), 101182.
- Patel, P., Lenka, S., Parida, V. (2022). Caste-Based Discrimination, Microfinance Credit Scores, and Microfinance Loan Approvals Among Females in India. Business & Society, 61(2), 372–388.
- Ponomareva, Y., Uman, T., Bodolica, V., & Wennberg, K. (2022). Cultural diversity in top management teams: Review and agenda for future research. Journal of World Business, 57(4), 101328.
- Querbach, S., Kammerlander, N., Singh, J., & Waldkirch, M.(*) (in press). Pragmatic learning in family SMEs: a qualitative study of functional overload among family SME owner-managers. Journal of Knowledge Management, 26(2), 375-402.
- Quigley, T., Chirico, F., Baù, M. (2022). Does the CEO effect on performance differ in private versus public firms? Strategic Organization, 20(3), 652-673.
- Segaro, E. L.(*), & Haag, K. (2022). Good Intentions Gone Awry: Government Intervention and Multistakeholder Engagement in a Frontier Market. Journal of Business Ethics, 180(4), 1019-1040.
- Shen, W., Ponomareva, Y., Uman, T. (2022). Can you catch two birds with one stone? The impacts of nominating committee composition on board monitoring and resource provision. Long Range Planning, 55(3), 102127.
- Stendahl, E., Tippmann, E., & Yakhlef, A. (2022). Practice creation in multinational corporations: Improvisation and the emergence of lateral knowledge. Journal of World Business, 57(3), 101287.
- Symeonidou, N., DeTienne, D. R., & Chirico, F. (2022). The persistence of family firms: How does performance threshold affect family firm exit? External link, opens in new window.. Small Business Economics, 59(2), 477-489.
- Wigren-Kristoferson, C., Brundin, E., Hellerstedt, K., Stevenson, A., Aggestam, M. (2022). Rethinking embeddedness: a review and research agenda. Entrepreneurship and Regional Development, 34(1-2), 32-56.
- Arregle, J., Chirico, F., Kano, L., Kundu, S., Majocchi, A., Schulze, W. (2021). Family firm internationalization: Past research and an agenda for the future. Journal of International Business Studies, 52, 1156-1198.
- Baù, M., Block, J., Discua Cruz, A., Naldi, L. (2021). Bridging locality and internationalization – A research agenda on the sustainable development of family firms. Entrepreneurship and Regional Development, 33(7-8), 477-492.
- Chirico, F., Welsh, D., Ireland, R., Sieger, P. (2021). Family versus non-family firm franchisors: Behavioral and performance differences. Journal of Management Studies, 58(1), 165-200.
- Criaco, G., van Oosterhout, J. H., & Nordqvist, M. (2021). Is blood always thicker than water? Family firm parents, kinship ties, and the survival of spawns. Journal of Business Venturing, 36(6), 106161.
- Eze, N., Nordqvist, M., Samara, G., Parada, M. (2021). Different Strokes for Different Folks: The Roles of Religion and Tradition for Transgenerational Entrepreneurship in Family Businesses. Entrepreneurship Theory & Practice, 45(4), 792-837.
- Gillmore, E., Andersson, U., Ekman, P. (2021). The enduring effects of relational attributes on subsidiary evolution after mandate loss. Global Strategy Journal, 11(3), 402-433.
- Ghosh, C., He, F., & Zhou, H. (2021). On the role of foreign directors: Evidence from cross-listed firms. Journal of Empirical Finance, 63, 177-202.
- Hashim, S., Naldi, L., Markowska, M. (2021). “The royal award goes to…”: Legitimacy processes for female-led family ventures. The Journal of Family Business Strategy, 12(3), 100358.
- Larrañeta, B., Naldi, L. (2021). Introduction to the Reflection Forum: Clouds in the business landscape—Reflections on the implications of major worldwide turmoil for management and organizations. BRQ Business Research Quarterly, 24(3), 194-198.
- Naldi, L., Baù, M., Ahl, H., Markowska, M. (2021). Gender (in)equality within the household and business start-up among mothers. Small Business Economics, 56, 903-918.
- Naldi, L., Nilsson, P., Westlund, H., Wixe, S. (2021). Amenities and new firm formation in rural areas. Rural Studies, 85, 32-42.
- Pittino, D., Visintin, F., Minichilli, A., & Compagno, C. (2021). Family involvement in governance and firm performance in industrial districts. The moderating role of the industry’s technological paradigm. Entrepreneurship & Regional Development, 33(7-8), 514-531.
- Ramirez-Pasillas, M., Lundberg, H., Nordqvist, M. (2021). Next generation external venturing practices in family owned businesses. Journal of Management Studies, 58(1), 63-103.
- Smith, C., Nordqvist, M., De Massis, A., & Miller, D. (2021). When so much is at stake: Understanding organizational brinkmanship in family business. Journal of Family Business Strategy, 12(4), 100425.
- Waldkirch, M.(*), Bucher, E., Schou, P. K., & Grünwald, E. (2021). Controlled by the algorithm, coached by the crowd–how HRM activities take shape on digital work platforms in the gig economy. The International Journal of Human Resource Management, 32(12), 2643-2682.
- Waldkirch, M.(*), Kammerlander, N., & Wiedeler, C. (2021). Configurations for corporate venture innovation: Investigating the role of the dominant coalition. Journal of Business Venturing, 36(5), 106137.
- Astrachan J., Binz-Astrachan C., Campopiano G., Baù, M. (2020). Values, Spirituality and Religion: Family Business and the Roots of Sustainable Ethical Behavior. Journal of Business Ethics, 163, 637–645.
- Banerjee, A., Nordqvist, M., Hellerstedt, K. (2020). The role of the board chair—A literature review and suggestions for future research. Corporate Governance: An International Review, 28(6), 372-405.
- Barbera, F., Shi, H. X., Agarwal, A., & Edwards, M. (2020). The Family That Prays Together Stays Together: Toward a Process Model of Religious Value Transmission in Family Firms. Journal of Business Ethics, 163, 661–673.
- Baù, M., Pittino, D., Sieger, P., Eddleston, K.A. (2020). Careers in family business: New avenues for careers and family business research in the 21st century External link, opens in new window.. Journal of Family Business Strategy, 11(3), 100379.
- Chirico, F., Criaco, G., Baù, M., Naldi, L., Gomez-Mejia, L., Kotlar, J. (2020). To patent or not to patent: That is the question. Intellectual property protection in family firms. Entrepreneurship Theory & Practice 44(2), 339-367.
- Chirico, F., Gómez-Mejia, L., Hellerstedt, K., Withers, M., Nordqvist, M. (2020). To merge, sell or liquidate? Socioemotional wealth, family control, and the choice of business exit. Journal of Management 46(8), 1342-1379.
- Lauto, G., Pittino, D., Visintin, F. (2020). Satisfaction of entrepreneurs: A comparison between founders and family business successors. Journal of Small Business Management 58(3), 474-510.
- Li, H., Terjesen, S., Uman, T. (2020). Corporate Governance in Entrepreneurial Firms: A Systematic Review and Research Agenda External link, opens in new window.. Small Business Economics, 54, 43-74.
- Markowska, M., Wiklund, J. (2020). Entrepreneurial learning under uncertainty: exploring the role of self-efficacy and perceived complexity. Entrepreneurship and Regional Development 32(7-8), 606-628.
- Muñoz-Bullón, F., Sanchez-Bueno, M., Nordqvist, M. (2020). Growth intentions in family-based new venture teams: The role of the nascent entrepreneur’s R&D behavior. Management Decision 58(6), 1190-1209.
- Naldi, L., Criaco, G., Patel, P. (2020). Related and unrelated industry variety and the internationalization of start-ups. Research Policy 49(10).
- Naldi, L., Larsson, J., Westlund, H. (2020). Policy entrepreneurship and entrepreneurial orientation in vulnerable Swedish municipalities. Entrepreneurship and Regional Development 32(7-8), 473-491.
- Netz, J., Svensson, M., Brundin, E. (2020). Business disruptions and affective reactions: A strategy-as-practice perspective on fast strategic decision making. Long range planning 53(5).
- Nordqvist, M., & Gartner, W. B. (2020). Literature, Fiction, and the Family Business. Family Business Review.33(2).
- Pittino, D., Chirico, F., Baù, M., Villasana, M., Naranjo-Priego, E., Barron, E. (2020). Starting a family business as a career option: The role of the family household in Mexico. Journal of Family Business Strategy 11(2).
- Pittino, D., Chirico, F., Henssen, B., Broekaert, W. (2020). Does increased generational involvement foster business growth? The moderating roles of family involvement in ownership and management. European Management Review 17(3), 785-801.
- Uman, T., Smith, E., Andersson, W., Planken, W. (2020). Top management teams’ shared leadership and ambidexterity: the role of management control systems External link, opens in new window.. International Review of Administrative Sciences, 86(3): 444-462.
- van Helvert-Beugels, J., Nordqvist, M., Flören, R. (2020). Managing tensions as paradox in CEO succession: The case of nonfamily CEO in a family firm. International Small Business Journal 38(3), 211-242.
- Zawadzki, M., Jałocha, B., Mazurkiewicz, G., Pluszyńska, A., Prawelska-Skrzypek, G. (2020). Unrooting management education and entrepreneurial self from neoliberal demands: An action research approach. Entrepreneurship Education and Pedagogy 3(3), 265-290.