This information is for students admitted to a bachelor or master programme

If you have been admitted to Pathway Intensive English Summer online + a bachelor or master programme, you can only apply for a study permit starting when the degree programme starts as online studies does not meet the requirement for study permit in Sweden.

Please remember that you cannot apply for a residence permit unless you have been admitted to full time accredited university studies in Sweden and paid the tuition fee. The application fee for a residence permit can be found on the Swedish Migration Agency’s website External link, opens in new window..

You will need the following documents when you apply for a residence permit:

  • Your Letter of Acceptance for the bachelor or master programme (you will not receive a new letter after payment of tuition fee)
  • Proof of emergency insurance (your Letter of Acceptance) See the information at Opens in new window.
  • Proof of extra health insurance, optional (for non-emergency events and pre-existing conditions, especially if admitted to a one-year programme)
  • A passport valid for the duration of the studies in Sweden or the duration of the residence permit dates.
  • Your paid invoice to prove you have paid the tuition fee (download from the invoice system).
  • A bank statement in your name in English with the currency clearly stated, showing that you have enough funds to support yourself for the duration of the permit period you apply for. The bank statement should not be dated earlier than 1 April for studies starting in August.

Please note that if you do not have a student loan or sponsorship from an organisation, you can submit your application for residence permit no earlier than 4 months before the date you set as the permit start date. You can apply for a permit that starts 1 August even if the studies start a few weeks later. In that case, you can apply for a residence permit on 1 April at the earliest (if you have paid the tuition fee).

The current maintenance requirement can be found on the Swedish Migration Agency’s website External link, opens in new window., under "You must be able to support yourself".

Two-year study permit

As of 15 April 2024, there is an agreement between Jönköping University and the Swedish Migration Agency where our students can be approved for a two-year study permit. In order to be eligible for a two-year study permit, you must be admitted to a two-year master or three-year bachelor programme, have a valid passport for the duration of the two-year permit, and have sufficient funds for living expenses for those two years.

Tips for filling out the residence permit application

Choose Jönköping University from the list of "University or college of higher education" in the online residence application form and the address will be automatically updated.

Jönköping University
Box 1026, 551 11 Jönköping, Sweden

Contact information (the next step in the permit application):

Name: Admissions Office

The name of an individual contact person at Jönköping University is NOT necessary or required.

How Swedish Migration Agency processes applications

Picture from