If you are a citizen of a country outside the EU and you are planning to study for longer than three months, you must have a residence permit. The permit must have been issued before you can travel to Sweden. Follow the instructions for how to apply for a residence permit on the Swedish Migration Agency’s website External link, opens in new window. or contact the closest Swedish Embassy or Swedish Consulate External link, opens in new window.. If you need an entry visa depends on where you come from. The lists of countries whose residents require a visa can be found at the Government Offices of Sweden. You should also confirm possible visa requirements with the Swedish consulate or embassy responsible for your home country.

Please remember that you cannot apply for a residence permit unless you have been admitted to full time accredited university studies in Sweden. The application fee for a residence permit can be found on the Swedish Migration Agency’s website External link, opens in new window.

You will need the following when you apply for a residence permit:

  • Your Letter of Acceptance
  • Proof of emergency insurance (in your Letter of Acceptance)
  • A passport valid for the duration of the studies in Sweden
  • A bank statement in your name in English with the currency clearly stated, showing that you have enough funds to support yourself for the duration of the permit period you apply for. The bank statement should not be dated earlier than 4 months before the start of the studies at JU.

Please note that you can submit your application for residence permit (for study) at the earliest 4 months before the date you set as the permit start date. The current maintenance requirement can be found on the Swedish Migration Agency’s website External link, opens in new window., about half-way down on the page.

Please note that "mobility studies" (as it is mentioned on the Migration Agency's website) is not the same as regular exchange studies. As an exchange student, you should apply for a normal residence permit for higher education.

Tips for filling out the residence permit application

Choose Jönköping University from the list of "University or college of higher education" in the online residence application form and the address will be automatically updated.

Jönköping University
Box 1026, 551 11 Jönköping, Sweden

Contact information (the next step in the permit application):

Name: International Office

E-mail: incoming.student@ju.se

The name of an individual contact person at Jönköping University is NOT necessary or required.


Picture from www.migrationsverket.se